Breathing new life into an architectural landmark...

Built in 1926 in the Collegiate-Gothic style, the Sarasota High School was designed by esteemed Florida architect, M. Leo Elliott. The 57,000 square foot building opened its doors to students from the 7th-12th grade in the fall of 1927 and flourished for almost 70 years. In 1984 the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Although the school closed its doors in 1996, members of the community felt attached to the building and inspired to find its new purpose.

Fast-forward to 2002, the start of a two-year process of community involvement and consensus-building known as the Sarasota High School New Life Initiative. Funders of the New Life Initiative included the School Board, the City of Sarasota, Sarasota County, the Selby Foundation, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and private donors. More than 200 potential uses of the historic building were considered.

In October 2004, the School Board voted to lease the historic Sarasota High School to Ringling College of Art and Design to transform the building into the Sarasota Art Museum.



Find out what's happening with our "Old Building"!

The video below is from 2017


 



 
Image
From Sarasota Herald Tribune 2015
From Sarasota Herald Tribune 2015
Photo by Mike Lang, Sarasota Herald Tribune
Photo by Mike Lang, Sarasota Herald Tribune